Being mindful is about being present. There are simple things you can be more present in your eating; turning off screens before eating, slowing down whilst eating and thinking about the flavour and the texture of what you are eating. Here is a 3 minute mindful eating activity for you to try.
Try the following activity with a sultana, a small piece of chocolate or glass of wine or any food of your choice:
- Sit down at the table or in a comfy seat. Turn off the TV. Focus on the delicious food you are about to enjoy.
- Take a moment to acknowledge the tasty food that you’re about to consume.
- What does it look like? What do you think it might taste like?
- How does it feel in your hand? Is it hard or soft? Is it starting to melt?
- Take a deep breath.
- Close your eyes.
- Eyes still closed, bring your food up to your nose and smell it. Think about what it smells like – is it sweet? It is salty? Is it nutty? Is it something you’ve not smelled before?
- Take one bite and acknowledge the flavours.
- Let the flavour swirl around your mouth a little before swallowing.
- Take your time. Enjoy.
- Once you’ve swallowed, take another bite.
- Count how many times you chew this time.
- Continue the above until you are satisified. Remember it is okay to leave some food on your plate.
Enjoy! Using this slow and mindful technique can help you to enjoy your food more and be more satisfied with the food you are eating. Slowing down also helps us to tune into our bodies hunger and fullness more so we can stop when we have had enough. Food is meant to be enjoyed, so let’s enjoy it even more. Give it a try and let us know how you went.