Baked beans on toast is a famous family favourite. Here’s how you can make and enjoy baked beans from scratch. You can enjoy it as part of breakfast, lunch, dinner or even a snack!
Prep: 5 mins Cook : 40 mins
- 2 cups dried Cannellini or Borlotti beans OR 2 x 400g cans of Cannellini or Borlotti beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (or one teaspoon crushed garlic)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 x 400g cans tinned, crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs (dried or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- A pinch of salt
- Prepare dry beans as per packet instructions or if using canned beans, drain and rinse under cold water
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan
- Fry onion and garlic on medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add sugar and stir, cook for 2 minutes
- Add tinned tomatoes, herbs, tomato paste, salt and beans
- Mix and cook for a further 30 minutes
- Serve on roasted sweet potatoes or rice or toast with a side salad
You can easily add in extra vegetables, we like to add freshly diced tomatoes or red capsicum or zucchini (after step 4).
Spice your beans up by adding some chilli or black pepper to taste.
These beans freeze well for future meals or snacks.