This buckwheat salad with roast veg is an amazing and colourful salad that goes great as a side, and is also filling enough to make a main meal.
Prep: 15 mins Cook: 40 mins
- 1 large beetroot, scrubbed, trimmed and cubed
- 800g pumpkin, cut into 3cm pieces (no need to peel)
- ¾ – 1 whole cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 ½ cups raw Buckwheat
- 2 oranges, peeled, (white pith removed)
- ⅓ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- 120g Persian feta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Juice from oranges
- Preheat oven 180°C
- Prepare two oven trays by putting baking paper on top
- Place cubed beetroot and cut pumpkin on one tray and cauliflower florets on another tray. Drizzle with olive oil
- Bake cauliflower for 20 mins or until golden and tender. Bake beetroot and pumpkin for 40 mins or until tender. Set aside to cool
- Toast raw buckwheat on a non-stick frying pan over medium high heat, stirring for 3-4 minutes until fragrant
- To cook, put toasted buckwheat into 500ml of water thats in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes (until just tender- be careful not to overcook). Rinse under cold running water and drain well
- Holding each orange over a bowl to catch juice, cut either side of membrane to release segments. Squeeze remaining juice into the bowl
- Shake the honey, mustard, orange juice and remaining oil in a screw-top jar to combine
- Toss with pumpkin, cauliflower, beetroot, buckwheat, orange segments, parsley, toasted walnuts and feta in a large bowl
- Drizzle with dressing
This is a great recipe to serve cold the next day.
Pomegranate, roasted asparagus or roasted zucchini would be a great addition.
You can substitute the buckwheat for 300g quinoa.