Need a new, vibrant and delicious salad for a family dinner, gathering or BBQ? Caitlin’s Russian beetroot salad will be the star of any table.
🕒 Prep: 30mins Cook: 15mins
- 2 medium-large beetroots
- 3 medium-large carrots
- 2 medium-large potatoes
- 6 baby dill pickles
- 1 small shallot (you can also use ¼ of a red or yellow onion)
- ¾-1 cup sauerkraut
- 1 tin baby peas (or ½ cup frozen peas)
- ¼ – 1/3 cup sunflower oil (or any oil you prefer)
- 1 – 1½ tablespoons white vinegar
- Steam beetroots, carrots and potatoes
- Cool the beetroots, carrots and potatoes until cool enough to handle, then remove the skin of each vegetable
- Cube the beetroots, carrots and potatoes so that they are roughly the same size
- Cube the pickles and finely mince the shallot or onion
- Drain the sauerkraut. If the sauerkraut has really long pieces, you can chop them in half
- Mix all the vegetables, including the sauerkraut, pickles and peas in a large bowl
- Pour in the sunflower oil and the vinegar. Mix to combine. Store in the refrigerator
Feel free to adjust the amount of vegetables to your taste preference. You can also add fresh herbs right before serving, such as dill, green onions or parsley.
You can make this salad up to 3 days in advance – allow up to one night in the fridge for the best result.