Cheese burger meatballs are a fun way to dress up a family favourite. These cheesy filled meat balls are so simple to make and can be eaten in a variety of ways.
Prep: 50 mins Cook : 25 mins
- 500g mince
- 1 small onion, optional
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon garlic, optional
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, optional
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup tasty cheese
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 cups of diced veg (or equivalent, e.g. 1/2 zucchini, 1/2 red capsicum and a handful of mushrooms)
- 1 jar passata
- 1 cup stock
- Use a food processor to mince up onion, garlic zucchini and carrot
- Once minced add egg, panko bread crumbs, tomatoe paste and pulse again to combine
- Take mixture and combine with the mince meat
- Grate some cheese into a separate bowl and set aside
- Divide mince mixture into 1 tablespoon portions and roll into balls
- Flatten each ball and stuff each one with grated cheese
- Reform the ball and set in fridge for at least 30 minutes
- While balls are setting, heat a pan with oil and fry off onion, garlic and vegetables
- Add passata and stock
- Bring to a simmer, then add meatballs
- Cook for around 15 minutes (adjust heat to cook on a simmer, carefully stirring every 5 minutes)
- Before serving, cut through one meatball to check it is cooked
Serve with pasta, rice or on mashed potato. Enjoy served with salad on the side.
You can easily add any other vegetables you have on hand to the meatballs or sauce.
If you don’t want to use a food processor, simply grate the veggies.
Instead of grated cheese you can also use cheese cut into tiny cubes
Let the kids choose if they would like meatballs and sauce on top or on the side.