Quiche is making a comeback folks! Kate’s family loves this creamy, colourful quiche as a hot dinner or as a wonderful packed lunch.
🍴 Serves: 6
🕒 Prep: 30 mins Cook : 45 mins
- 1.5 sheets puff pastry (see notes for other options)
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- pinch of turmeric (optional)
- 2.5 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grated cheese (a mix of mozzarella, tasty and parmesan cheese is ideal)
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- extra cheese to sprinkle
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180 degrees
- Cook pastry in an oven proof dish for 10 mins
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower
- To make cheese sauce: melt butter in pan on medium heat
- Add flour, stirring constantly
- Add milk and stir constantly with a whisk until there are no lumps
- Stir in grated cheese (make sure you use a wooden spoon)
- Leave mixture to thicken, stirring occasionally (should only take a few minutes – if milk starts to boil, turn down heat)
- Add steamed veggies to semi-cooked pastry
- To make egg mix: beat eggs and flour in a separate bowl
- Top steamed vegetables with beaten egg mix
- Top with cheese sauce and sprinkle extra cheese
- Bake for 45 mins
Top with your favourite fresh herbs and serve with relish, a nice fresh salad or roasted veggies!
Option to omit puff pastry and use mountain bread wraps. You could even go crustless and make this a frittata.
Delicious hot or at room temperature.
Refrigerate to keep (if there’s any left!) for up to 5 days.