A breakfast favourite with a healthy twist! Kids love learning to make these crispy wholemeal chocolate waffles. Try designing colourful berry kebabs to serve on the side.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 15 mins
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- In a large mixing bowl mix wholemeal self-raising flour, plain flour and baking powder
- Make well in middle and add milk, eggs and vanilla essence
- Using electric beaters mix for 30 seconds on low to combine then 2 mins on high (scrape edges of bowl as needed)
- In a separate microwave-proof bowl put coconut oil, maple syrup (or honey) and cocoa
- Microwave for 10 seconds or until coconut oil is melted, once melted mix together
- Swirl chocolate mixture in waffle mixture by slowly pouring in and gently swirling (see picture below)
- Heat waffle maker as per instructions and cook according to your machine
Make these into pancakes if you don’t have a waffle maker by heating a little olive oil in a pan, adding a spoonful of mixture and flipping when bubbles form.
Serve with fruit and yoghurt, as it is already sweet I don’t add more syrup.