🕒 Prep: 15 mins Cooking time: 1 hour
- Veggie scraps (see note below)
- Salt, optional
- Take bag from freezer (no need to defrost)
- Give contents a good wash
- Put into large pan
- Cover with water
- Bring to boil and boil for one hour
- Add a little salt if you wish
- Cool and drain (with sieve and also through cheese cloth if you wish)
- Store in air tight containers in fridge for up to a week or in freezer for up to three months
Plenty of pumpkin skin, onion skin (although too many affect colour), garlic and mushroom ends make for a sweet and flavourful stock. I have even been known to put an apple piece or two in there.
Carrots, leeks and celery stalks are great.
Too many potatoes peels are not recommended as they can make the stock gummy and cloudy. Corn can also make it cloudy.
Beetroot can be added but will change the colour of the stock.
Green veg (zucchini, herbs, asparagus, broccoli, bokchoy, cabbage, carrot and celery leaves) can cause bitterness when cooked for so long so having only about 1/5 or less in your stock is recommended.
You can add chicken or beef or lamb bones to the stock. If you do cook for 2-3 hours.