Who doesn’t love a jam slice?! This is a great, simple recipe if you’re wanting a homemade treat and also looking to use up some overripe or sad looking fruit in the house. Our version includes some unsuspecting veggies but will continue to be an all-time favourite for both kids and adults!
🕒 Prep: 15 mins, cooking time: 30 mins
- 1 cup cooked cauliflower
- 2 cups fruits (I used 3 plums and 1 apple which I roughly cut and steamed)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons butter (50grams)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup coconut (shredded or desiccated)
- 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 180°C
- Cube butter and leave aside to soften in a bowl at room temperature
- To make the jam, blend the cooked cauliflower with the fruit using an blender or food processor
- Add in chia seeds, maple syrup and vanilla essence and leave aside to set
- To make the topping, place room-temperature butter in a large mixing bowl and add oats, flour, coconut and sugar
- Using your fingertips. mix ingredients together to create a crumble
- Once crumble has form, mix in plain yoghurt
- Line slice dish with baking paper and press roughly 2/3 of the crumble mixture firmly into the base of the dish, covering the entire surface
- Top with jam and using the back of a spoon, spread jam evenly over crumble mixture
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the jam and pat down gently with your hands
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Let slice cool in the dish before slicing into squares
- Other options for making the fruit jam could be: a combination of apple and rhubarb, using frozen berries or tinned fruit (drained). If using tinned or soft fruits (like strawberries, no need to cook first.
- Slice can be refrigerated and served warm by heating slightly in the microwave.
- Picture is served with greek yogurt and fresh berries.