For years I have been trying to make a healthier muesli bar. The problem is that when you reduce the oil or sugar too much, they just don’t stick together—finally I have found a solution! Muesli bars are a great source of whole-grains, and my kids just love them. With this recipe you can design your own muesli bars and flavours!
🍴 Makes: about 12 bars
🕒 Prep: 10 mins Cook : 40 mins
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup puffed rice (ideally brown, found in health food isle. Or substitute more oats if not available)
- 1/2 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 total cup of flavours (dark or white choc chips, coconut, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, or a combination)
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C, and line a slice tin (approx 27 x 18cm) with baking paper
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, maple syrup, sugar, zucchini, and egg together, mix well
- Add oats, puffed rice and wholemeal flour into the same bowl and mix
- Add in the cup of flavours and mix again
- Pour mixture into the pan. With damp hands, push mixture down into the pan
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes
- Turn out onto a wire rack for further cooling. Cut into muesli bar shaped fingers
- Store in air-tight container
If you want them slightly crunchier, then place them back on the tray, and bake in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
Looking for flavour inspiration? Have a look at our strawberry and dark chocolate muesli bars.