The perfect sweet treat without any added sugar. These pear and sticky date muffins are great for lunchboxes, picnics, a snack or even dessert.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 25 mins
- 1 ½ cups of pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 300ml boiling water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 over ripe pears, mashed or blended
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of wholemeal self raising flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C and put 12 patty pans in a muffin tin
- Finely dice dates or blend using a food processor and place in a bowl
- Sprinkle baking soda on top of dates, then pour over boiling water
- Stir and let stand for 5 minutes
- In a separate bowl combine oil, eggs, pear and vanilla and beat lightly
- Combine with date mixture and flours, stir until combined
- Pour batter into muffin tin and bake for about 25 minutes. Check muffins with a skewer
Serving suggestion: serve muffin in the middle of some sliced strawberries.
Try sprinkling some coconut or a slice of pear on the top before baking.
When you don’t have pears, try using over-ripe bananas or apple sauce instead.