Pack a veggie punch in your next ‘spaghetti’ and meatballs! This delicious porcupines with veggie noodles will be enjoyed by the whole family.
🕒 Prep: 20 mins Cook: 25 mins
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 750g lean beef mince
- ⅓ cup raw basmati rice
- ⅓ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 700ml bottle passata (pureed tomatoes)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4-6 extra zucchinis and carrots to serve or 500g spaghetti or a mix
- Grate onion, one carrot and one zucchini
- In a bowl mix mince, onion, rice, cheese, basil, egg, tomato paste and grated carrot and zucchini
- Roll into balls and place on a plate. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes
- Heat passata and stock in a large pot and bring to the boil
- Add balls and reduce heat to a simmer
- Cook for about 25 minutes or until rice is soft
- Serve on a bed of carrot and zucchini noodles. To make noodles grate, peel or use a spiraliser. Or serve on cooked pasta or try a mix of both
We love this recipe served with a colourful side salad or a cob of corn! Porcupines are great to freeze- we just make a double batch and keep them for the busy nights.
Also great served on mashed potatoes.