(Makes 16 Dumplings)
Choice of veggies:
- Grated 1 carrot/1 zucchini and shredded 1/4 small cabbage
- Finely chopped mushroom/bamboo shoots/water chestnuts
- Sweet corn kernels
- 2-3 tbsp plain flour
- Handful of herbs (coriander, Vietnamese mint, chives), chopped
- 16 round dumpling wrappers
- Oil for cooking (peanut, sunflower, sesame)
- 2 tbsp rice-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Juice of one lemon or lime
- 1 tsp grated ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce (optional)
- Whisk ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside
- Prepare vegetables (wash and cut/shred) and put in a large bowl. Stir to combine
- Put flour onto your work surface. Put 16 wonton wrappers on the flour
- Place 1 teaspoon of filling on one side of the wrapper (be mindful not to overfill)
- Brush the sides of the wonton wrappers with water. Fold the wrappers over and pinch the sides together to seal
- Coat the bottom of a non-stick frypan with oil and heat over medium to high heat for 1-2 minutes. Place dumplings in the pan
- When bottom gets brown, add 1/4 cup of water (it will spit) and immediately cover (to steam the dumplings).
- Carefully watch the dumplings and completely evaporate the water so that the bottom gets crispy again and starts to stick to the pot.
- Serve 3 or 4 per person with small bowl of dipping sauce.
Try using other fillings including chopped chicken, fresh baby spinach or snow peas. Try adding finely grated tofu into the carrot, zucchini and cabbage filling.