red velvet cookies
- 3 slices of rye bread (darker the better)
- 1/2 cup (100g) dark choc
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 medium beetroot (1/2 cup grated)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
Makes about 18 cookies
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. And line a tray with baking paper
- Place bread in food processor and process to make fine bread crumbs
- Add breadcrumbs to large bowl
- Wash and grate beetroot (no need to peel).
- Mix together chia seeds, beetroot, sugar and breadcrumbs
- Add egg and mix
- Place chocolate and butter in heat proof bowl. Melt (you can either do this on a double boiler on your cook top or in the microwave. If microwaving, heat for 1 minute on half power. Mix and continue to heat 20 seconds at the time until melted).
- Mix chocolate mixture into bread crumb mixture. Stir until combined.
- Using a tablespoon, roll a spoonful of mixture into a ball, flatten slightly and place on tray
- Bake for 20 minutes