Delicious fresh Asian inspired meal. Beautifully flavoured chicken mince served in crisp lettuce leaves and eaten with your hands.
🕒 Prep: 20 mins Cook : 20 mins
- 2 tablepsoons sesame seeds
- 125g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2cm x 3cm piece of ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 large carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red capsicum
- 200g can of water chestnuts
- 2 spring onions, sliced thinly plus 1 extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons salt reduced soy sauce (or Tamari for gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 bunch of coriander, for garnishing, optional
- 12 cos or ice-berg lettuce leaves
- Heat a pan and add sesame seeds, cook for 2 minutes, stirring often until toasted
- Place noodles into a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water, allow to sit whilst cooking the meal.
- Peel and dice onion, garlic and ginger
- Add mixture to a large wok or frying pan along with the oil
- Cook for a few minutes over a medium heat until fragrant
- Add the chicken mince and cook until it starts to brown
- Thinly slice or grate carrots and zucchini (if you have one, use a veggie noodler to noodle carrots and zucchini)
- Dice red capsicum
- Roughly chop water chestnuts
- Add carrots, zucchini, water chestnuts and capsicum to wok and mix
- Add the sauces, water and pepper to the wok along with the spring onions and 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds
- Cook until chicken is cooked through and sauce starts to thicken
- Drain rice vermicelli noodles and chop into smaller pieces
- Add noddles to the chicken mix and mix to combine
- Wash and separate lettuce leaves
- Fill lettuce cups with chicken mix
- Garnish with spring onions, remaining sesame seeds and coriander leaves
If desired add a squeeze of lime juice on top before serving.
You can substitute sesame oil for peanut or coconut.
Add chili to step 3 for some heat.
Try adding cashews and bean sprouts at step 10 (note then this dish is no longer nut free).