I’m not sure why but children seem to just love food on a stick, so try a sandwich on a stick to create some fun with the classic sandwich. Give the kids a range of ingredients and they can make their own. You can also create your own flavour combinations.
Prep: 15 mins
- 2 slices bread (ideally multigrain)
- 2 wooden skewers
Variety of ingredients (suggestions):
- 1 slice cheese
- handful spinach leaves
- 1 purple cabbage leaf
- 4 chunks red capsicum
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices cucumber
- 1 teaspoon avocado or mayonnaise
- Prepare ingredients by cutting bread and cheese into four squares and cutting vegetables into large chunks (try using our Foost first knife)
- Spread one side of bread with avocado or mayonnaise
- Take a stick each and thread one piece of bread onto stick (thread bread side first so that when completed avocado will be on the inside of the skewer
- Now thread veggies and bread onto sticks, ending with a piece of bread on a end (avocado facing inwards)
- Make two skewers or more if you like
Toast bread if you want a crunchier texture.
Try making other flavours; maybe pizza sandwich on a stick, Greek salad on a stick or Caesar salad on a stick.
If your children are still learning to like some of the ingredients above, then add more of ingredients they already like (perhaps some pineapple or ham).
You can make tiny stick sandwiches by using toothpicks.