An easy and delicious winter classic. This slow cooker chicken cacciatore is easy to prepare and then you just wait for it to cook, super easy!
🕒 Prep: 15 mins Cook: 8 hours (low) or 4 hours (high)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 skinless chicken thigh fillets chopped in chunks
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced (wash, no need to peel)
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 1 capsicum, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 700g bottle tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon salt reduced chicken stock (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 handful parsley, chopped (if you have some)
- 500g cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- Add everything into slow cooker (aside from olives and mushrooms) and stir to combine, Cover.
- Cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours)
- Add mushroom in the last 30 minutes of cooking
- Add olives before serving
- Serve on quinoa or rice or mashed potatoes or pasta. Great with steamed vegetables (green beans, carrots, broccoli etc) or fresh salad
Don’t have a slow cooker? Cook for 6-8 hours in your oven at 110°C.
Any sad veggies can be added to this dish.
Leftovers can be made into a pie by simply topping with some puff pastry and baking.