Some people might think porridge can only be eaten during winter, but personally porridge is a year-round heart warming breakfast that adds a little legume twist to the usual porridge!
🕒 Prep: soak overnight. Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
🕒 Porridge Prep: 2 mins. Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup of black eyed peas, dry
- 2 cups of water
- cooked black eyed peas (from above)
- 1 1/2 cup of soy milk (or other milk or your choice)
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 medium orange, juiced
- 1 tbsp of orange zest
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- topped with orange slices, desiccated coconut, chopped walnuts and raisins
- Soak the dry black eyed peas overnight in just enough water to cover it. Place a cover over this
- Next day, drain the black eyed peas and place this in a saucepan with 2 cups of water
- Cook on medium for 30-40 minutes until the black eyed peas are soft
- Drain the black eyed peas
- Place the cooked and drained black eyed peas back into the same saucepan
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the saucepan and bring this to a boil
- Simmer for 5 minutes until this starts to thicken, stir the porridge to make sure all well combined
- Divide the porridge into two bowls
- Top with the orange slices, desiccated coconut, chopped walnuts and raisins. Enjoy!
Serve with alternative toppings if you like! or even have the porridge by itself.
Tip: Make extra and store in the fridge for up to three days.