Some people might think porridge can only be eaten during winter, but personally porridge is a year-round heart warming breakfast that adds a little legume twist to the usual porridge!
🕒 Prep: Soak overnight Cook: 30-40 minutes
🕒 Porridge Prep: 2 mins Cook: 5 minutes
- ½ cup black eyed peas, dry
- 2 cups water
- Cooked black eyed peas (from above)
- 1½ cup soy milk (or other milk or your choice)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 medium orange, juiced
- 1 tablespoons orange zest
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Topped with orange slices, desiccated coconut, chopped walnuts and raisins
- Soak the dry black eyed peas overnight in just enough water to cover it. Place a cover over this
- Next day, drain the black eyed peas and place this in a saucepan with 2 cups of water
- Cook on medium for 30-40 minutes until the black eyed peas are soft
- Drain the black eyed peas
- Place the cooked and drained black eyed peas back into the same saucepan
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the saucepan and bring this to a boil
- Simmer for 5 minutes until this starts to thicken, stir the porridge to make sure all well combined
- Divide the porridge into two bowls
- Top with the orange slices, desiccated coconut, chopped walnuts and raisins. Enjoy!
Serve with alternative toppings if you like! or even have the porridge by itself.
You could make extra and store in the fridge for up to three days.