Although it sounds sweet, this dish is served as a savoury side! Inspired by similar dishes served in China where we were commonly served sweet potato with grilled cheese atop, this recipe would be great alongside roast meat, salmon patties or chicken schnitzels.
🕒 Prep: 20 mins Cook: 25 mins
- 500g sweet potato
- 500g pumpkin
- 1 large green apple
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch cinnamon
- ¾ cup grated tasty cheese
- Wash sweet potato and apple and remove skin from pumpkin (if apple and sweet potato are fresh I leave skin on for extra fibre!)
- Roughly dice all the fruit and veg
- Steam fruit and veg until soft (either in microwave for about 10 mins covered, over boiling water for 15-20 mins or in a thermomix for about 20 mins)
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Allow steamed vegetables to cool then carefully mash them with either a potato masher or blender
- Mix in butter, cinnamon and syrup
- Move veg into a medium, oven-proof dish and spread out evenly
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 mins until cheese is melted and browned on top
If you’re running short on any of the vegetables used in this recipe, you could easily swap out the pumpkin for cauliflower, white potatoes for sweet potatoes and even pears for apples!
Tinned apples that have drained and patted dry could also be used instead of a raw apple. No need to steam the apples if you are using tinned ones.