Tex Mex salad is one of my children’s favourite dinners. It has it all; colour, crunch and deliciousness! This is a dinner I make when we need something on the table fast.
Serves: 4 – 6
Prep: 10 mins Cook : 20 mins
- 1 packet corn chips
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 500g beef steak
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Mexican of fajita seasoning
- 425g canned corn
- 425g red kidney beans
- ½ iceburg lettuce
- 1 red capiscum
- 2 tomatoes
- Coriander, optional
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 avocado
- ½ lime or lemon
- 1 tablespoon coriander, optional
- Dash sweet paprika, optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place corn chips on oven tray and top with grated cheese (layer corn chips and cheese if tray is not large enough)
- Sprinkle beef steak with Mexican seasoning
- Heat oil in pan on medium to high heat and cook steak 2-3 minutes each side (or to your liking)
- Remove meat from pan
- Add corn and beans to pan and cook for 5 minutes
- Place nachos in oven and cook for 10 minutes
- Make guacamole by mashing avocado and mixing in lemon juice and mix in paprika and coriander if using
- Make yoghurt dip by mixing yoghurt and sweet chili
- Chop lettuce, tomatoes and capsicum
- To make salad place diced iceberg lettuce on platter
- Top with tomatoes, capsicum, beans and corn
- Top with nachos
- Slice beef into strips and place on salad
- Sprinkle with coriander, if using
- Serve with dips
Instead of using beef steak and seasoning, you can use BBQ chicken.
Make this dish vegetarian by mixing black beans, a dash water and Mexican seasoning into the corn mix and leave out the beef.
Try making your own chips out of mountain bread. Simply rip, bake for 10 minutes and use as corn chips.
To make this dish Gluten Free use Gluten Free Mexican seasoning and Gluten Free corn chips.