We love toast. For breakfast, lunch, snack or an easy dinner.
Here is our guide for thinking beyond simple spreads, to really flavour up your toast. Making toast nutritious and delicious.
Step 1: Choose your bread
Multigrain or rye bread is more nutritious than white, as it is jam packed with fibre (for your gut health). If you love your white bread, then you can add fibre to it by adding some fruit and/or veg as a topping.
Step 2: Choose your spread
There are heaps of spreads to choose from including jam, honey, vegemite, peanut butter, butter, extra virgin olive oil, avocado, cream cheese, ricotta cheese.
Step 3: Choose your topping
Why not add some fruit or veggies on top? This could be strawberries, banana, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach or eggs.
Step 4: A sprinkle of extra flavour
Ground cinnamon or nutmeg go well with banana and fruity toppings. Cracked pepper or some of your favourite fresh or dried herbs (mine is parsley) with savoury options. Other ideas can be chia seeds, nuts and seeds, shredded coconut.
Here are some of our favourite toast topper ideas. All of these are great combinations for toast, but they are also great toppings for crackers too.
- Peanut butter with banana and a dash cinnamon. Or can swap the banana for fresh strawberries if you want
- Vegemite and avocado. Even add an egg or some tomato
- Avocado, goats cheese and chia seeds. This combo is also delicious with feta cheese
- Eggs either fried, scrambled, boiled or poached on toast with tomato, avocado and spinach
- Cottage cheese, tomato and black pepper
- Baked beans and cheese
- Cream cheese and jam. Don’t have any jam? You can make our easy chia jam
- Peanut butter and honey or the classic PB+J (peanut butter and jam)
- Banana and honey. You can either mash the banana onto the toast and drizzle honey on top, or you can spread honey as the base and chop the banana up and place on top, the choice is yours. Try adding a sprinkle of nuts or seeds.
- Tomato and grilled cheese. Place some slice tomato on your toast, top with tasty cheese and in the grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted (or the oven for 10 mins at 200°C)
- Strawberries on a cloud (pictured): Spread ricotta cheese over the toast to form the ‘cloud’. Add chopped strawberries. Sprinkle some chia seeds or pepitas to give it an extra ‘crunch’. Add a drizzle of honey.
Is your favourite toast combination there? If not, when you make your toast please tag us @foost.com.au on instagram or facebook.