For those that want an eggalicious breakfast, without the actual eggs, then you have to try this vegan tofu and black bean breakfast scramble! This is a super healthy, satisfying and flavour packed meal perfect to start your morning off with (or great to finish the day with also).
🕒 Prep: 10 mins Cook: 15 mins
- 265g firm tofu
- ½ cup tinned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 60g baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Spice Mix Ingredients
- ¼ cup of soy milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 teaspoon sumac or salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
Add all of the spice mix ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine well. Set aside
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and bring this to medium-high heat
- Add the onion, garlic and tomatoes to the skillet and saute for 5 minutes
- In the meantime drain the tofu and use a paper towel to pat the tofu dry
- Add the tofu to the skillet and break the tofu apart until it has reached a scrambled consistency of your liking
- Stir in the spice mix and stir this in allowing the tofu to soak up the liquid for 5 minutes
- Add the black beans to the skillet and continue to heat for another 3 minutes
- Add the baby spinach and heat for another 2 minutes until the baby spinach has wilted
- Serve with a side of toast
You can double this recipe and store the left over in the fridge ready for breakfast the next day or an afternoon snack.
You can adjust this recipe to include more vegetables such as capsicum and mushrooms.
This is an easy recipe to make with your kids while exposing them to new foods that they might not have tried before such as tofu and black beans. If your children are still learning to like tofu and beans, have this as a side dish.