A firm favourite in my house with my kids. It’s just like a zucchini slice, only with more veggies, so maybe we should call it rainbow slice. This can actually be breakfast, lunch, dinner, a veggie side or even a snack!
Prep: 15 mins Cook: 50 mins
- 1 onion
- 4 mushrooms
- 100g bacon or ham (try natural, nitrate-free ham)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 1 large zucchini
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 420g can of creamed corn (or drained corn kernels)
- 1 and 1/4 cup corn flour (or plain flour or wholemeal plain flour)
- 1 and 1/2 cup cheese (I used a combination of light tasty and Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Dice onion, mushrooms and ham/bacon
- Heat oil in a frypan and cook onions on medium heat for two minutes
- Add mushrooms and bacon and cook for three to four minutes, leave to cool
- Grate zucchini and carrots (squeeze grated veg in your hand over the sink to remove excess water)
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl (only use half the cheese)
- Transfer mixture to an ovenproof baking dish (I use a large rectangle one but you can also use a quiche dish), sprinkle with remaining cheese
- Cook for about 50 minutes
You can change this as you like (some wilted spinach is lovely). Sometimes I leave out the onions and mushrooms. Sometimes I add diced pumpkin or grated sweet potato. You can also use this as a filling for quiche, and add some puff pastry or filo to the bottom.
If you like a firmer slice, then spread mixture between two dishes so you make a thinner but firmer slice.