There are so many yummy uses for ricotta. You can serve it on fruit toast with a pinch of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey, use in lasagna or make ricotta pancakes. All you need is full cream milk, lemons, salt and a cheese cloth. It’s easy, fun and it only takes about 30 minutes!
🍴Makes: 500g of ricotta
🕒 Prep: 30 mins
- 2L full cream milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (plus one extra squeeze)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, slowly heat the milk. Let it start to foam and remove from heat once it starts to boil (be careful not to let it boil over)
- Add the lemon juice and salt to the milk and gently stir
- Let the milk mixture sit for 10 minutes. The milk should separate into clumps of white curds and thin, watery, yellow-coloured whey
- Give mixture a stir. If there is lots of unseparated milk, add a little more lemon juice
- Line a sieve/strainer with the cheese cloth and place over large bowl
- Pour or scoop milk mixture into cheese cloth
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes
- The ricotta will be left in the cheese cloth
Ricotta can be used straight away or store in the fridge for up to a week.
If you don’t have a cheese cloth, you can use a fresh chux.