Love mac and cheese? Well this one just got even better as it is full of veggies! We love adding veg to family favourite meals, and this one is a real hit with the Foost kids.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 25 mins
- 3 carrots
- ½ sweet potato
- ¼ cauliflower
- ½ butternut pumpkin
- 500g pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1½ cups grated tasty cheese, plus some extra to serve
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon djoin mustard, optional
- Wash and dice veggies
- Steam veggies for 10-15 minutes or until soft
- Whilst veggies are cooking, cook pasta, according to package directions
- Meanwhile to make the sauce: heat oil in a pan on medium heat
- Add flour. Mix to combine. Cook for two minutes, stirring often
- Add milk and whisk to combine, leave cooking but do not let it boil (lower temperature if needed)
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring often (if it doesn’t thicken much that is okay, the cheese and veggies will thicken it)
- Once thickened remove from heat and stir in nutmeg and cheese (and mustard if using)
- Mash veggies or you can blend if you want a smoother sauce
- Mix veggies into sauce and then mix in drained pasta
- Serve with a sprinkle of extra cheese and a simple side salad for some crunch
This recipe makes a great mac and cheese bake too. Just place in a casserole dish and top with some bread crumbs and cheese before placing in the oven to crisp up for about 20 minutes.
You can also make little mac and cheese muffins by placing leftover mixture into greased muffin trays. Top with some bread crumbs and cheese and cook in the oven.
This recipe works great with a mix of cheese in the sauce. Try using a mix of Parmesan and tasty cheese.
If you want more flavour in the sauce try adding 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast and 1 teaspoon garlic powder when you add in the nutmeg.