Miss 6 came home from school one day announcing that she wanted to make pumpkin scones, so we did! Including pumpkin into this recipe adds a twist to the classic scone. Bonus—they contain veg!
🕒 Prep: 30 mins (plus cooling time) Cook: 12 mins
- 300g of pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups of wholemeal self raising flour, plus extra for rolling scones
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Peel and dice pumpkin into 2cm cubes
- Steaming the pumpkin over rapid boiling water until soft (around 15 minutes)
- Mash with a potato masher or puree in a blender until very smooth
- Set aside to cool
- Preheat oven to 220ºC fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper
- With your fingers, crumble the butter and sugar together
- Add egg and mix throughly
- Combine flour and cooled pumpkin to wet ingredients and mix until a dough is formed
- Place dough onto a lightly floured board, gently kneed dough (it will be a soft dough, but work in more flour if needed)
- Roll out to approximately 1.5cm thick
- Use cookie cutters to make shapes and place scones closely together on your prepared tray
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes
- Allow 10 minutes to cool before serving
Serve with fresh fruit, jam and cream or yoghurt and chia jam or your favourite spread
Other variations of this recipe include sweet potato, or carrot & pumpkin.
If you don’t have self raising flour, use plain plus 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.