Pickling is one of the oldest and tastiest ways to preserve food, and these quick zucchini pickles come with plenty of opportunities to chop and change according to your personal taste. They’re super quick, cheap and easy to make. Help reduce your food waste by turning regular veggies into seriously delicious and colourful condiments. Give them as a gift or add some pizzazz to your next family dinner!
🕒 Prep: 15 min Wait: 1 day
- 2 x 300ml jars (lids removed)
- water for sterilising jar
- 1½ medium zucchini
- ½ red onion
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ tablespoon salt
- Fill a pot with water and bring to the boil
- Carefully place heat-resistant lids and jars in water
- Boil for 5 mins
- Carefully remove from pot using tongs and empty water (allow to air dry)
- Add vinegar and 1 cup water to empty pot and bring to boil (turn off once boiled)
- Slice zucchini and onion
- Fill jars will zucchini and onion
- Using half of each condiment per jar, add sugar, mustard seeds, turmeric and salt
- Carefully fill with vinegar mix
- Put on lid and gently stir
- Leave in fridge for a day then enjoy
Will keep for about 10 days (as this is quick pickling).
Try pickling other veggies like cucumber or carrot or dikon.
Play around with different types of vinegar and spices to create your own flavour combinations.
Due to salt this recipe is not suitable for children under 1.