Veggies for dessert anyone? While this rhubarb and apple tart may not be the prettiest, it does make a quick and tasty dessert!
Prep: 15 mins Cook: 30 mins
- 1 bunch rhubarb
- 3 apples (we prefer granny smiths)
- 1 piece puff pastry (defrosted)
- Preheat oven to 200ºC
- Wash and trim ends on the rhubarb and cut into 2cm pieces
- Wash and roughly dice up apples
- Add rhubarb and apples to a pan with a dash of water
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes (till slightly soft)
- In the meantime, line a circular cake tin with baking paper
- Top baking paper with stewed fruit and veg
- Cut pastry into a circle shape so it will fit inside the tin
- Top fruit and veg with pastry
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until pastry is golden
- Take out of oven and let cool for a couple of minutes
- Carefully flip onto a plate
You can use berries, pears or frozen berries in place of rhubarb.
This dish is not very sweet (but we like it like that), add some sweetener of your choice to the stewed rhubarb before cooking if you wish.
I use frozen puff pastry for ease but you can definitely make your own pastry.